Tuesday, April 13, 2010

the journey begins...

This is the first post to what I hope becomes a valuable and thoughtful weekly blog; anyone who lives outside this immediate area probably never heard of this place which I call the Alley Pond Park Wetland Nature Preserve.

It is a"natural area" that sits on the eastern edge of New York City (Queens County to be exact) and holds some exceptional ecological and environmental value; I place the term natural area in quotes above because this area is NOT by any means pristine nature; but that makes it all the more interesting because it is one of the finest examples of how nature survives even when it is surrounded by a great city;

I know this area personally and professionally and work in the preserve with my students on a regular basis; there is much to learn here and to share with interested readers; along the way I hope I can communicate even a small amount of my love for this area and what it means to me; I love pictures and am working to do more with videos so when the time comes I'll try to share those with you too; I expect this to be a slow start and take time for others to share back but I welcome your thoughts and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment